Being overweight should be viewed not as an essentially aesthetic problem but as a personal health issue. In addition to the own maladies caused by excess body fat, the overweight individual is also often seen exposed to other health problems, since overweight and obesity are often associated with an unhealthy diet and sedentary lifestyle.
As if that were not enough, some people, influenced by unrealistic beauty standards, end up looking for ways to lose weight, appealing to fad diets, which are often harmful to health, or to the use of chemical substances, often without the help of a professional Cheers.
The purpose of this article is not to present miraculous formulas to lose weight or teach secret tips that will make you lose weight quickly and effortlessly. That does not exist. The aim of the text is to show that the implementation of small changes in eating and lifestyle habits can have a medium / long term impact on optimal body weight control.
If you are not familiar with simple concepts such as body mass index, ideal weight and basal caloric expenditure, we suggest you also read the following articles:
- CALORIES TO WEAR
- CALCULATE YOUR IDEAL AND BMI WEIGHT
- HOW TO CALCULATE BMI - Body Mass Index
- HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT IN A HEALTHY WAY
60 Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Weight
The weight loss process can be summed up simply the difference between the amount of calories you eat per day minus the amount of calories your metabolism burns daily. That is, if you over several days ingest more calories than burning, you will gain weight. On the other hand, if your daily calorie intake is less than the amount of calories your body burns, you will lose weight. If your calorie intake and burning are the same, your weight will be more or less stable over the weeks.
So we can divide our tips into 2 groups:
- Tips to consume fewer calories throughout the day.
- Tips to increase your calorie burning throughout the day.
Tips for consuming fewer calories
1- Avoid using soft drinks with sugar. A single can of Cola-Cola has 35 grams of sugar, which provides 139 kcal. Just for comparison, 35 grams of sugar are 8 to 10 teaspoons of sugar. Already 139 kcal is the average expense of a 40 minute walk. If you consume more than a single can of Coca-Cola per day, simply stopping this consumption will definitely make you lose a few good pounds in a few weeks. Dieting soft drinks may not be a healthy drink, but they are much better than non-diet soft drinks compared to sugar and calorie consumption.
2. It is not only soft drinks that contain excess sugar. Before buying a drink, see the amount of sugar and calories from it. Energy drinks and products aimed at hydration during physical activity, such as Gatorade and Powerade, also have excess sugar. A bottle of Gatorate, for example, has 30 grams of sugar or about 8 teaspoons of sugar.
3. Do not be fooled by industrialized products that are called natural. Many brands of juice in the box or bottle, which are said to be made with 100% fruit, actually add sugar to enhance the taste. The fact that an orange juice is made with real orange does not mean that the manufacturer can not have added sugar to its formula. Always see the nutritional references on the back. If you have added sugar, avoid, because the fruit alone is already a food rich in carbohydrates.
4 - At meal time, never fill your plate. Put less food than you think necessary. When it comes to hunger, our ability to estimate the required amount of food is compromised, and we often eat more than we need just to keep food off the plate.
5 - Following the same logic as the previous topic, use smaller dishes. A small full dish can get the feeling that there is the ideal amount of food better than a large empty dish.
6 - Do not feel obligated to finish the plate always. If you are already satisfied, stop eating even if there is still food on the plate.
7- Eat only in one place of the house, such as in the living room or in the kitchen. This can break the habit of eating in certain places outside the mealtime, such as in the office, in bed, in front of the TV, etc.
8. Create a rewards system at the end of the day or week after you have been able to follow a diet with fewer calories. Rewards can be anything that makes you feel good, whether it's going to the mall, cutting your hair, fingering, renting a movie, getting massages, having sex, etc. The collaboration of family members is very important in this system. The reward should not be for losing weight, but for better habits. Note: never use food as a reward.
9- Find out what feelings or activities trigger the craving for food more often. Try to have control over these situations. If possible, dispose of them
10- See which are the hypercaloric foods you most consume. Stop buying them. If you have them at home, it becomes almost impossible not to consume them. The best way to not eat something with lots of calories and not have easy access to it.
11- Create a journal or blog about your diet. Write daily about successes and failures. Try to learn from the mistakes of the previous days.
12- After each fork, take a sip of water. This will make the stomach fill up more quickly, reducing the amount of food needed to satisfy it. When the stomach fills, the body releases neurotransmitters responsible for the feeling of satiety.
13- Eat very slowly, chew the food well and take short breaks during the meal. Allow time for the body's satiety mechanisms to activate.
14- Vegetables and vegetables are not only healthy but have few calories. If you eat a good salad during the meal, you will be taking up stomach space with a food that provides few calories. Eat the salad before preparing the main course or reserve at least 50% of the main course space for vegetables and veggies.
15- No use eating salad if you will fill it with sauces, especially those based on mayonnaise and cheeses, which are hypercaloric.
16- Take a longer break between food and dessert. See if you really need it or if candy is just a habit or a form of reward.
17- Brush your teeth as soon as you finish eating, this will make you think twice before choosing to eat a dessert.
18. Fight boredom with activities, not with food. Try to drink a good glass of water before pinching some candy, to see if the urge to eat passes.
19- Olive oil is a type of healthy fat, but it has many calories. If the goal is to lose weight, filling the olive oil food will not help. Use it sparingly.
20- Avoid frying foods that can be baked. This drastically reduces the amount of calories in the food.
21- Avoid browned foods, parmigiana, au gratin, mayonnaise-rich sauces, sauces of four cheeses, fried foods or any other high-fat food, since they are often hypercaloric.
22- Roast chicken is a good option, but it should be consumed without the skin.
23- Fishes are the best meat choices.
24. Abolish fast food from your diet. They are nutritionally poor and high in calories.
25- Sleep at least 7 to 8 hours a day. Our body spends more calories when we are sleeping in deep sleep than when we are just lying down, whether reading or watching TV. Poor sleepers have a greater risk of getting fat.
26- Ask a dietitian to help him prepare a diet with the right amount of calories for you.
27- When shopping, if there are more than one similar product on the supermarket shelf, check the nutrition information for the least calorie option.
28- Never buy a product without first consulting the nutritional information, especially the amount of calories in the food. Over time, you will learn to identify the most suitable foods to lose weight or to keep you healthy.
29- Understand that dietary reeducation is far superior to any diet of fashion. It may take longer to reach the desired weight, but it will certainly be easier to obtain the desired weight in the long run.
30- When it comes to buying dairy products, always look for skimmed, light or thin versions. This is for yogurts, milk, cheeses, etc.
31- If you want to eat ice cream, popsicles are a better option than the boxed ice creams.
32. Whole foods are healthier, have more fiber and are less caloric. Fibers help induce the feeling of satiety.
33- Alcoholic beverages are hypercaloric. The higher the alcohol content, the more calories the drink contains.
34- Avoid buying ready meals in supermarkets. Besides being hypercaloric, they usually have a large amount of salt.
35- It is not necessary to totally abolish any type of food. If you do not live without pizza at the weekend, calculate the calories you can consume throughout the day. You can have a pizza on Saturday, as long as you have more light meals throughout the day. It is important to avoid flavors with lots of fat and calories, like four cheeses or bacon. Remember that each slice of pizza can have between 200 and 300 kcal. The less greasy the pizza, the more slices you can consume.
36- Losing weight is much easier than keeping weight off. To maintain a healthy weight you need to change habits of life and food, otherwise you will suffer the so-called accordion effect, alternating periods in which you gain weight and lose weight. There is no point in dieting if this diet does not teach you how to eat better for the rest of your life.
Tips for Burning More Calories
37. Do not skip breakfast. When we are fasting our metabolism slows down and the body starts to consume not only fat but also muscle mass. Lowering the metabolism ends up making the calories not consumed at breakfast have little effect on weight loss. It is best to consume a healthy breakfast with fruit, bread or whole grain cereal, and lean cheese than to fast for lunch.
38. Do not make long periods of fasting during the day. Avoid being hungry. It is best to eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day, with a few hours apart, than 2 or 3 large meals spaced. Large intervals between meals slow down metabolism and increase the release of insulin at mealtime, two factors that prevent the patient from losing weight. Obviously, you can not consume high-calorie foods at those meals throughout the day. Make a small meal every 4 hours. Leave in your pocket or bag cereal bars or low-calorie salt crackers.
39- A big mistake of people trying to lose weight is to think that it is easy to do it just by reducing their caloric intake. Increasing daily calorie expenditure through exercise makes weight loss much easier. Just as proper eating is a matter of habit, so is exercise.
40. Physical exercises burn calories not only at the time of exercise itself, but also for several hours afterwards.
41- A person who exercises regularly burns more calories when at rest than a sedentary person. Even when sleeping, the metabolism of those who exercise is more accelerated than that of the sedentary.
42- Both aerobic exercises and bodybuilding help to lose weight.
43- A pound of muscle burns, times more calories than 1 kg of fat when at rest. When we gain muscle mass, we are increasing our basal calorie intake. Up to 75% of the calories consumed during a day is done at rest, through the basal metabolism of our organism, therefore, the more muscle mass we have, the more calories we can burn, even when sleeping or watching TV lying on the couch.
44- If you do not have cardiovascular or osteoarticular problems, give preference to more intense aerobic exercises to lose many extra calories in the day. A spinning class, for example, can make you lose 500 to 800 more calories in a single day. This is not to mention the cardiovascular benefits of having good aerobic resistance.
45. If you have time, try doing 30 minutes of aerobic exercise and then another 30 minutes of bodybuilding. The ideal frequency is 4 to 5 times a week.
46- Any degree of exercise is better than nothing, but aerobic exercises less than 20 minutes long are not as effective at burning fat. In the first few minutes we burn only the sugar reserves. To reach the fat reserves, it takes at least 20 to 25 minutes of uninterrupted exercise.
47. If you can not or can not run, walk. Walking 30 minutes daily is enough.
48- The ideal during a physical activity is to keep your heart rate continuously high. Walking and stopping, walking and stopping, as some people do on a day-to-day basis from work does not work as well as an uninterrupted half-hour walk.
49. If at all possible, go to work by bicycle. Leave the car at home. Most of the world's greats have built bike paths to make their population healthier.
50- If leaving the car at home is impractical, try to park it further then. Walk a little until you get to work.
Change the elevator up the stairs. This helps you lose weight and still strengthens your lower limbs.
52- Bodybuilding can be done at any age, provided it is accompanied by a qualified professional. Elderly people can not only how they should exercise their muscles.
53 - The older the person becomes, the more important the bodybuilding becomes to avoid reducing the basal caloric expenditure with the natural drop in metabolism.
Doing dozens of repetitions of abdominal exercises will not make your belly disappear if you do not lose weight. You can even create abdominal muscles, but as the fat is more shallow, they will be hidden. The belly disappears doing aerobic exercises and bodybuilding in general.
55. During bodybuilding, work large muscle groups, such as chest, back and thighs, Because they are bigger and easier to develop muscles, they will make you lose more weight. quickly.
56- If you do not support running or bodybuilding, there are several alternatives, such as group sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball ...), dancing, aerobics classes, canoeing, mountaineering, climbing, hiking, yoga, pilates, etc. An hour of yoga, for example, can help burn up to 350 kcal.
57- Swimming is an excellent exercise to lose weight, because it is both aerobic and stimulates the development of muscles.
58. Morning exercises give better results than at the end of the day, when you are already tired.
59- Cycling is another excellent option and can be done with the family. It strengthens muscles and is an aerobic activity.
60- Any physical activity is better than no activity. If you are not accustomed to exercise, start slowly. Look for activities that are not painful. Weight loss should be a medium / long term goal. If you do not like exercising and still seek immediate results, this is the first step to giving up early.