Propranolol, also called Propranolol Hydrochloride, is an oral, adult and which can be found for sale in packs containing 30, 100 or 120 tablets of 10 mg, 40 mg or 80 mg.
Its commercialization is only allowed upon presentation of a prescription.
Does the consumption of propranolol fatten? What exactly is it for and what side effects can we feel from taking this medicine?
For what it is and indications
According to information from the package leaflet provided by the National Agency of Sanitary Surveillance (Anvisa), the remedy is indicated for the following cases:
- Control of hypertension;
- Control of angina pectoris (chest pain);
- Control of cardiac arrhythmias;
- Prophylaxis (preventive measure) of migraine;
- Control of essential tremor (involuntary movement);
- Control of anxiety and anxiety tachycardia;
- Adjuvant (auxiliary) control of thyrotoxicosis (syndrome caused by tissue exposure to elevated levels of circulating thyroid hormones, which mainly due to hyperthyroidism, reported ABC Med) and thyrotoxic crisis (a complication from hyperthyroidism, according to ABC Med);
- Control of obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (genetic heart disease caused by thickening of the heart muscle, according to My Life website);
- Control of pheochromocytoma (rare tumor that develops in some glands), only in the presence of affective alpha blockade.
Is Propranolol Fattening?
To learn about Propranolol, we decided to take a look at the list of adverse reactions listed in the package leaflet.
The document has no direct effect that could lead us to conclude that Propranolol is fattening. However, two of their common adverse reactions are fatigue and lassitude, which is synonymous with exhaustion.
They are classified as common effects of being tried with the product, that is, observed between 1% and 10% of patients who use the drug.
- Does Tibolona get fat or lose weight? What It Is, What It Is for and Indications
- Fattening Atenolol? For What It Is and Side Effects
- Diacerein Fattening? For What It Is and Side Effects
- Fattening Adefort? What is it for and how to use it
Indirectly, this tiredness brought about by the medication can cause the person to exercise less and stay less active, which can lead to a reduction in the amount of calories spent on the day day.
As we all know, this can facilitate weight gain. However, this does not necessarily mean that Propranolol is fattening, only that it has effects that indirectly contribute to weight gain and these effects are felt only by users.
It is only a hypothesis, a possibility of something that can happen or not with a patient suffering from fatigue and exhaustion when using the medicine.
In addition, when an Internet user asks if Propranolol is fattening, cardiologists Fabio Gomes da Conceição, Luis Fernando Barone and Marco Túlio Villaca Castagna answered that the remedy does not cause the increase of weight.
Thus, we can not state that Propranolol is fattening. Therefore, when you realize that you gained weight when using the medication, talk to your doctor to find out what may have caused weight gain and whether or not this is associated with the use of the medicine.
Other side effects
According to the package leaflet provided by Anvisa, the drug may still cause the following adverse reactions:
- Bradycardia (slow heart rate below normal);
- Cold extremities;
- Raynaud's phenomenon (a condition in which there is an exaggeration on the part of the body in the response to cold temperatures, according to Reumato USP);
- Sleep disorders;
- Gastrointestinal disorders such as nausea, diarrhea and vomiting;
- Thrombocytopenia (decreased platelets in the blood);
- Worsening of heart failure;
- Precipitation of the heart block;
- Postural hypotension (pressure drop at bedtime and abrupt onset);
- Mood changes;
- Loss of hair;
- Purpura (disease associated with low platelet levels in and increased risk of bleeding);
- Worsening of psoriasis (skin disease);
- Psoriasiform skin reactions (red spots on the skin, covered with scales);
- Rash (rash);
- Paresthesia (sensations such as tingling, pressure, cold or burning in the hands, arms or feet, according to the Copacabana Runners website);
- Dry eyes;
- Visual disturbances;
- Bronchospasm in patients with bronchial asthma or history of asthmatic complaints (occasionally as a fatal result);
- Hypoglycemia in newborns, nursing mothers, the elderly, children, patients undergoing hemodialysis, who are on concomitant antidiabetic therapy, are on prolonged fasting or have liver disease chronic;
- Increase of antinuclear antibodies;
- Myasthenia gravis syndrome (a condition that causes weakness and rapid muscle fatigue) or worsening of the condition.
Contraindications of Propranolol
The medicinal product should not be used by persons who are hypersensitive to any of the ingredients of its formula and by individuals predisposed to hypoglycemia, that is, to have low glucose levels in the blood.
People with hypotension (low blood pressure), bradycardia, severe peripheral arterial circulation disorders, sino-atrial node syndrome, decompensated heart failure, Prinzmetal angina (characterized by episodes of pain that arise at rest) and cardiogenic shock (inability of the heart to pump enough blood to the body's noble organs) should also avoid its I agree
In addition, the remedy is contraindicated in cases of metabolic acidosis, heart block of second or after prolonged fasting and for people with a history of bronchial asthma or bronchospasm
Propranolol also can not be used in cases of untreated pheochromocytomas, with an antagonist of alpha-adrenergic receptor and is not indicated for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding. their babies.
If you are taking any other type of medicine, tell your doctor about this when you receive prescription of Propranolol so that the doctor can verify if there are risks of interactions between the two medicines.
Do you know anyone who has used and claims that Propanolol is fattening? Are you afraid to use it on account of this and other side effects? Comment below!(24votes, average:, 8of 5)