If you came to this article looking for tips on how to lose belly thinking only for the aesthetic side of the situation, spend a few minutes with us, as we will give you even more reasons( besides tips) for wanting to lose weight and lose a few inches of your belly.
Having a flat belly or a defined abdomen may be very good for self-esteem, making the individual more confident to wear certain clothes or expose the abdominal region in public. However, there are much more important reasons for you to bother with those little touches or the outgoing belly. The accumulation of fat in the abdominal region is not only aesthetically undesirable, it is also an important risk factor for the development of diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
Being overweight and having fat in the abdominal region is a common extreme. But not being alone does not mean that accumulating fat in the belly is not cause for concern. Even if you do not mind the aesthetic part, as with some adult men, losing your belly is important for you to be a healthier person.
It is important to keep in mind that those tummy tucks that trouble you so much may not only be an aesthetic problem, but also a sign that you need to be more careful about your health.
In this article we will explain why and how to lose belly. We will cover the following points:
- Ways to accumulate fat in the body.
- Abdominal fat hazards.
- How to lose belly.
- Diet and exercise to lose belly.
- Gain muscle to lose belly.
- Tips to lose belly.
This article is part of the series of texts on obesity and weight loss. We suggest reading them for a deeper understanding on the subject:
- OBESITY |Definitions and Consequences
- CALORIES TO ADHERE
- HOW TO WEED
- DIET TO WEED
- WEIGHT LOSS
- PLASTIC SURGERY AFTER LARGE WEIGHT LOSS
Ways to accumulate fat in the body
Regardless of your weight and BMIbody), the way your body accumulates fat is of great importance in the risk of you developing diseases in the future.
When we gain weight we gain visibly and invisibly. Visible fat is one that builds up under the skin in the subcutaneous tissue. Usually, the places that the body most commonly accumulate fat are the belly, thighs, buttocks and hips. The invisible fat is the one that accumulates more deeply, around the organs, being called visceral fat.
Most people are more concerned about fat than they can see. However, hidden fat, that is, visceral fat, is the one that most worries doctors, because it can occur in non-obese people.
The way your body accumulates visible fat can give us important tips on how to build visceral fat. Individuals who accumulate fat predominantly in the belly, maintaining relatively lean thighs and hips are those that are at greater risk of forming visceral fat. Women who accumulate a lot more fat in the thighs and hips than in the abdomen tend to have less visceral fat and less risk of cardiovascular problems.
Dangers of abdominal BMI above 25 kg / m²
Any individual who thinks that they are overweight should calculate their BMI and measure their abdominal circumference with a common malleable metric tape.
When BMI is greater than 25 kg / m², men with waist greater than 102 cm and women with waist greater than 88 cm are at greater risk of developing obesity-related diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and cardiovascular diseases.
In obese patients with BMI is greater than 35 kg / m², the measurement of abdominal circumference loses value, since the accumulation of fat in these cases is diffuse and of course there is also formation of visceral fat.
If you are obese, there is no doubt that fat is doing you harm. The problem is to convince those just overweight and a protruding belly( BMI between 25 and 29.9 kg / m²) that their problem goes beyond the aesthetic discomfort.
Just as an example, in 10 years, adults with normal BMI and without belly present a 30% lower risk of developing cardiovascular diseases when compared to people with BMI greater than 25 kg / m² and increased waist circumference.
To find out more about body mass index and BMI calculation, visit the following article: IMC |calculation of body mass index.
How to lose belly
Before moving on to belly-tapping tips, some points need to be highlighted:
1- There are no miracles. First of all, you have to accept the fact that there are no teas, special diets, formulas, recipes, pills or any other means that makes you lose your belly easily and quickly. Until this is understood, you will continue to give money to charlatans and you will accumulate frustrations. Not to mention the health risks that some "miracle" weight loss treatments can cause.
2- The degree of success you will have will always be proportional to the degree of effort you are willing to make. If you want to lose weight without making an effort, the best you can do is to fail without making any effort.
3- There is no way to lose belly without losing weight. The only exception is liposuction, which is not the solution indicated in most cases( read: LIPOSUCTION SURGERY | Indications and risks).It is no use to make abdominal, buy apparatuses that give shock in the abdomen, pass creams in the belly, etc. Your belly fat is one way the body stores the excess calories you have consumed over the months. To lose your belly, you have to make your body consume more calories than it can store. You have to spend the stocks, you have to burn fat.
4- To lose weight and lose belly obligatoriamente pass through the binomial: physical exercise + control of the calories ingested. If over several days you consume more calories than you can spend, you will gain weight. On the other hand, if you can spend more calories than you consume, you will inevitably lose weight. It's that simple. There's no getting away from it.
Diet and exercise to lose belly
It is important to understand that it is much easier to lose weight by exercising than just dieting. Restricting calorie consumption may work in the short term, but if you have enough weight to lose, it will only take you halfway. Many people lose weight quickly with diets, but after a few weeks they get stuck without being able to lose more weight. The best they can do, and even with a lot of effort, is not to regain weight. This is because as we go on losing weight, the body's basal calorie expenditure is also reduced, forcing the diet to become increasingly restrictive to function. Our body consumes an average of 23 calories for every pound of weight. So, 100-pound people have a baseline expenditure of 2300 calories per day, while 50-pound people spend only half of that.
Example: A sedentary individual weighs 100 kilos and wants to reach 70 kilos. With 100 kilos his body spends about 2300 kcal per day.
- If over the course of several days he ingest, on average, 2300 kcal daily, his weight will remain.
- If you eat more than 2300 kcal per day, you will gain weight.
- If you eat less than 2300 kcal per day, you will lose weight.
Therefore, if this patient does a diet, for example, with 1800 kcal daily, he will lose weight even without exercise after a few days.
The problem is that as he goes on losing weight, fewer calories his body will spend throughout the day. A fat body requires more energy to function. When this individual reaches 85 pounds, his basal daily calorie expenditure will have fallen to near 1800 kcal. That is, the diet that served when he weighed 100 pounds, will no longer be enough for him to continue to lose weight.
At this time, the patient has two options: either he switches to an even more intense diet with about 1300 calories per day, which is quite restrictive and difficult to do, or he starts exercising, to increase his daily expenditureof calories. If your body spends 1,800 kcal per day and the patient is still able to spend an additional 500 calories in the gym, his daily expenditure will be 2300 kcal. Therefore, the 1800 kcal diet will continue to be effective in making you lose weight.
Gain muscle to lose belly
Physical exercise has two advantages: it spends calories immediately and increases the basal expenditure of calories when we are at rest.
The ideal is to always combine aerobic exercises( running, spinning, swimming, step, etc.) with exercises to gain muscle mass.
The muscle is a structure that consumes a lot of calorie. So the more muscle mass you have, the higher your body's basal calorie expenditure. While one pound of fat consumes about 4 kcal per day, one pound of muscle consumes about 13 kcal. That means roughly every kilogram of fat you lose, your basal calorie intake drops 4 kcal per day. However, if you can replace that pound of lost fat with a pound of muscle, the effect will be the opposite, you will increase your basal calorie expenditure by 9 kcal.
So, we come to the conclusion that, unlike what we do when we diet alone, as we lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, it is becoming easier to continue to lose fat and decrease the belly.
So if you want to lose your belly, do bodybuilding. It is not exactly working out the abdomen that will make you lose your belly, but rather the overall gain of muscle mass throughout the body.
Tips to lose belly
Having understood all that has been explained so far, it is easy to keep the tips I will give now:
- Give preference to more intense aerobic exercises to lose many extra calories in the day. A spinning class, for example, can make you lose 500 to 800 more calories in a single day. This is not to mention the cardiovascular benefits of having good aerobic resistance.
- Do at least 30 minutes of physical exercises and then another 30 minutes of bodybuilding. The ideal frequency is 4 to 5 times a week.
- Aerobic exercise less than 30 minutes long does not help burn belly fat. In the first few minutes we burn only the sugar reserves. To get fat reserves, it takes at least 20 to 25 minutes of aerobic exercise.
- If you can not or can not run, walk. Walking 30 minutes daily is enough.
- Bodybuilding can be done at any age, provided it is accompanied by a qualified professional.
- Swimming is an excellent exercise to lose weight, because it is both aerobic and stimulates the development of muscles.
Doing dozens of repetitions of abdominal exercises will not make your belly disappear if you do not lose weight. You can even create abdominal muscles, but as the fat is more shallow, they will be hidden. There is no way to have that tiny belly with a large layer of fat on top in the subcutaneous tissue.
- Sweat large muscle groups, such as your chest, back and thighs, because they are bigger and easier to develop muscles, they will make you lose weight faster.
- Ask a nutritionist to prepare a diet with the right amount of calories for you.
- Escape from fad diets. Losing weight and losing belly is no secret, it's just effort and willpower.
- Avoid eating fats, fried foods, soft drinks, and sweets. They raise and increase your cholesterol.
- Sleep at least 7 to 8 hours a day. Our body spends more calories when we are sleeping in deep sleep than when we are just lying down, whether reading or watching TV.Those who sleep little have a greater risk of forming a belly.
- Beware of miraculous formulas. There are many so-called natural weight loss treatments that actually hide substances such as amphetamines, anxiolytics, diuretics or antidepressants in their composition.
- At meal time, after each fork, take a sip of water. This will make the stomach fill up more quickly, reducing the amount of food needed to satisfy it.- Never fill the dish. When we are hungry, we tend to put more food than we really need on the plate.
- Do not feel obliged to finish the dish always. If you are already satisfied, stop eating even if there is still food on the plate.
- Do not make long periods of fasting during the day. Avoid being hungry. It is best to eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day, with a few hours apart than 2 or 3 large meals spaced out. Large intervals between meals slow down metabolism and increase the release of insulin at mealtime, two factors that prevent the patient from losing weight.
- Eat very slowly, chew the food well and take short breaks during the meal. Allow time for the body's satiety mechanisms to activate.
- Do not eat dessert immediately after a meal. See if you really need it or if dessert is just a habit.
If you are looking for more weight loss tips, read: 60 TIPS FOR WEIGHT LOSS.