Sweet potato is a carbohydrate that has become the best friend of bodybuilders and those looking to lose weight. It is a tuber of origin in the Americas, but is now produced in more than 100 countries around the world.
There are a few options for sweet potatoes: white, which is not sweet, yellow and purple, which are most often used to make sweet, and red, which has brown peel and yellow flesh, and is ideal for roasting.
Sweet potatoes help in weight loss, among other reasons, because it has a low glycemic index. In addition, it is considered a complex carbohydrate and provides a lot of energy, so it is also adored by gymgoers. Compared to traditional English potatoes and mandiocin, it has a lot more fiber, potassium, protein and phosphorus, improving bowel function as well as controlling diabetes and cholesterol.
The sweet potato, because it has a resistant starch, causes that, when consumed, the fat molecules are fixed in this soluble fiber causing it to be absorbed more slowly, releasing glucose gradually in the organism, avoiding that they deposit in the form of fat andsupplying energy gradually.
The sensation of satiety that the potato generates can also contribute to decrease the consumption of food and thus to lose weight. The amount recommended for daily consumption should respect 60% to 65% of carbohydrates, which is equivalent to approximately 1200-1400 calories of the nutrient per day. About 100 grams of sweet potatoes have about 100 calories and 25 grams of carbohydrate.
How to bake the sweet potato in the microwave? Step by Step
Preparing the sweet potato can be a bit tricky depending on the recipe as it often needs peeling, cooking, then baking and this can take time. However, there are more practical ways to prepare them, and the best: without losing important nutrients.
You can, for example, make sweet potatoes roasted in the microwave, in less time than they would in the oven, and do not despise the peels, because it is in them that most of the fibers and nutrients are. Follow below how to bake the sweet potato in the microwave in a simple step by step.
- Higienize : First of all you should, of course, thoroughly wash the potatoes to remove any residues and possibility of lands that are present in the barks. To dry, use a paper towel to lightly beat, avoid scrubbing to avoid wasting any of the potato;
- Pierce the skin: With the help of a fork, make 6 to 8 holes in the skin around the potato. This is all because, when taken to the microwave, the sweet potato heats up quickly and the steam stays fixed inside the skin and these holes cause the steam to escape, preventing your device from exploding. If you prefer, you can make an X in the shell, but remember not to drill deep holes;
- Wrap the sweet potato: Take a paper towel and wrap the sweet potato and moisten with cold water. Squeeze the excess water carefully so as not to tear the paper and place it inside an uncovered dish and take it to the microwave. The moist paper helps promote steam, this will prevent the potato from shrinking and will also result in a softer bark. Unlike the oven, aluminum foil can not be used in the microwave, this can cause some kind of fire. You can also substitute for a plastic bag of those of vegetables and fruits of the market;
- Turn on the micro: The cooking time can vary according to the size and quantity of potatoes, as well as the power of your micro. Generally, a medium to large potato takes between 8 to 12 minutes to cook at high power. Do this: leave the potatoes baking for 5 minutes, then take off and turn on the side and put for another 5 minutes to bake the other side. If after that it is still half raw, leave it for another 1 minute and so on until it is good to see you. If you have more than one potato, try to multiply the time according to the quantity of potatoes;
- Remove from the microwave : Be careful at this time. The potato will be hot as well as the paper that covers it. Do a test with the fork and see if it is soft, can not be too soft, nor too hard. It should yield slightly with the pressure of the fork;
- Wait cool: Throw away the paper towel and allow the potato to cool slightly, for about 5 minutes. This time is important because it can finish the cooking process, since there is hot steam still in its inner layers. So just cut and consume or prepare the dish with sweet potatoes of your choice.